Recent Posts

Blogger Tips and TricksLatest Tips And TricksBlogger Tricks

Thursday, August 21, 2014

Tsarnaev pal faces 7 years in jail after marathon case guilty plea


A former roommate of accused Boston Marathon bomber Dzhokhar Tsarnaev pleaded guilty today in federal court today to charges that he hindered an investigation into the deadly 2013 bombings and could spend up to seven years behind bars if the Judge Douglas Woodlock approves it.

As part of the plea, Dias Kadyrbayev would be incarcerated for no more than seven years and agreed to a judicial order of deportation, which means he gave up his right to a deportation hearing. He said he understood his rights to go to trial but agreed with the plea deal reached between U.S. Attorneys and his counsel.

Kadyrbayev, 20, was scheduled to go to trial next month on obstruction of justice and conspiracy charges, but his lawyer Robert Stahl filed a change of plea notice in advance of today’s hearing.

The judge explained the elements of both charges, and Kadyrbayev said he understood he was admitting to everything, including hiding a backpack and laptop that were key aspects of the obstruction charge.

Continue reading
Source: Boston Herald

Sex assault case against Detroit Tigers minor league pitcher Evan Reed dismissed


A sex assault case against Detroit Tigers minor league pitcher Evan Reed has been dismissed.

Judge Kenneth King made the ruling Thursday following roughly four hours of testimony.

The Wayne County Prosecutor's Office had issued third-degree criminal sexual conduct charges against Reed after a women reported waking up naked in bed with him on the morning of March 30 at the MotorCity Casino Hotel.

The 45-year-old woman testified that she met Reed while she was out with a girlfriend the night before at Fifth Avenue in Royal Oak and the two had danced until she started to feel “funny.” She also said she had previously noticed her drink tasted differently, implying she may have been drugged.

“The last thing I remember is my body feeling funny. I completely blacked out from then on,” the woman said.

The next thing she remembers is waking up in the hotel room.

“My body was hurting. My head was pounding. My neck hurt. I was dizzy,” she said.

The woman said when she got up and went into the shower, she was sexually assaulted by Reed.

“There was something wrong with my head,” she said. “I felt like a rag doll.”

The woman said Reed told her he had to leave and she needed go home. She said she got a cab home and went straight to bed.

Wayne County Prosecutor Kym Worthy said the charges were based on the allegation that the woman was incapacitated after drinking and unable to give consent.

But King gave several instances when he considered the woman was "in the presence of mind."

King pointed out that the woman testified she had verbally told Reed to stop when he began assaulting her, that she was conscious enough to realize what was happening to her.

King said there is no question that the woman was incapacitated when she arrived at the hotel, based on surveillance video that shows Reed carrying her into the hotel.

"At one point, she falls flat on her back without bracing herself whatsoever," King said. "The problem is what happened in that hotel room? No one knows ... the victim is unable to tell us anything that happened."

The following morning, King also said the woman was in the presence of mind to walk down six flights of stairs, get a cab, tell the cab driver where to go to find her car and drive home.

Continue reading
Source: Clickon Detroit

Former Detroit Tigers pitcher Evan Reed in court today on Criminal Sexual Conduct charges


Former Detroit Tigers pitcher Evan Reed will be in court this morning for a preliminary hearing.

Reed is facing two counts of criminal sexual conduct for an incident back in March.

A 45-year-old woman says she met Reed at a bar in Royal Oak and claims he drugged her. She says the pitcher eventually took her to the MotorCity Casino, where she says he sexually assaulted her.

Reed -- who currently pitches for the Toledo Mudhens -- claims the sex was consensual.

Source: WXYZ
Link to article

Wednesday, August 20, 2014

BREAKING NEWS! Judge grants Jodi Arias' request to delay start of re-trial. Jury selection will now begin Sept 29.


Jodi Arias, acting as her own attorney, filed a handwritten motion to the court requesting a delayed start in the death penalty phase of her murder trial.  You can read that motion here.

Today, judge Sherry Stephens granted her request.  The trial that was originally scheduled to begin with jury selection on September 8 will now begin September 29.

Side note:  During the last penalty phase, that resulted in a hung jury, Jodi told the jury that she was going to cut her hair and donate it to Locks of Love.  She showed up today sporting that new short hair, however it was back in a pony tail and no photos are available.  There is no word on if she actually donated it or if it was accepted by any organization.